Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Good Bones: A Vanity Make-Over

Have you ever come across a piece of furniture that called out to you?

A piece of furniture that said, "Take me home. You know you love me. I am yours."

Even though you may be thinking, "I have no room for you. I don't need you. You are ugly and it will take time to redo you just to get you presentable enough not to wince every time I look at you and I really don't have the energy to haul home another piece of furniture that I do not need right now."

But then you somehow listen to the siren call of the scraggly piece of furniture and haul it home, hoping the neighbors aren't looking out their windows and thinking, "Another piece of furniture?"

Yeah, me, too.

That was the case with this vanity I scored off of Craigslist. She was calling my name.


Just a side note here--I am a Craigslist junkie. Seriously, if there was a 12 step program for people addicted to Craigslist, I'd...well, I'd join the Craigslist Fan Club (it doesn't exist, does it?) sooner than I'd join the 12 step program because I love Craigslist. And I can't imagine giving it up, especially when there is so much furniture out there! But I digress.

She's not pretty, is she? She struggles with her appearance, but she had something I like to call good bones.

She was sturdy. Her drawers worked. And she had these tiny little wheels on the end of her legs that made me smile.

So, when she called my name, I listened and brought her home, where my cats promptly set out to investigate this new item.

She sat in my bedroom for several weeks. I tried to ignore her and her good bones and her tiny little wheels on the end of her legs.

I tried to decide what color to paint her. Green, no black, no red, no blue. And finally, I decided.

And here she is.



A lovely chocolate brown chalk paint (which I made myself--more on that later) with a gold glaze to accentuate her beautiful legs and a gold fabric to recover her seat.

I think it fits her, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment